Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Ride Over

Saying goodbye to Sue, and of course Buster was terribly difficult.  We both got teary.  It'll be far easier on me though, because I'll be vacationing.

I sat next to a really great guy, Joe, on the flight to Dubai.  He's from PA originally, but lived in AZ for a long time, too.  Some friends invited him on a vacation to Thailand several years back, and that was it. He now lives in the North East near Laos teaching English.  

He has some lovely ideas about starting a rubber tree farm/vocational school for kids.  

The scariest thing I saw on the flight was a flight attendant pushing a cart down the aisle toward me, and running swiftly in front of her was some large bug, a beetle I think.  It was about the size of a quarter and I nearly jumped on poor Joe.  It was just that I wasn't expecting it, see.  Now no one will ever eat airline food again, right?  It's a bug.  We'll be eating those and paying for it here, and maybe in the US soon.  (Google cricket protein bars.). But, did make me glad I had "bugged out."  Maybe it stayed away!

I watched The Book Theif on the flight to Dubai, and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty on the flight to Bangkok.  Walter may now be one of my favorites.  What will it take to get Kristin Wigg to sing Ground Control to Major Tom to me?  And ther was a line in the movie that nearly had me falling put of my seat with laughter, a gem hidden in plain sight.  "Stay gold, Pony Boy!"  Took me back to freshman Mrs. Hew's English class at FFHS!

I was VERY FRUSTRATED in Dubai.  I switched my cell to global, and am getting NO reception.  I expect to have harsh words with Verizon soon.

Said goodbye to Joe in Bangkok at the luggage carousel.  We ended up by coincidence sitting with a person between us on the Dubai/Bangkok flight.

Bangkok itself, high 80's.  Humid.  I'm exhausted.  My room isn't ready.  I've waited an hour.  I was met by the hotel excursion representative who I would have paid to leave me alone, but I booked a half day temple tour tomorrow (so I did, I guess).  I shouldn't stay in the confines of my hotel.  I have another full day tour Friday that was previously booked.  All I want to do is go jump in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment